“Hey buddy, how was school today?”
“Good, what did you learn?”
Sound familiar? That was my conversation with my 5 year old after a day of kindergarten, when I thought, “maybe I’m asking the wrong questions…”. Since then, I’ve been asking questions like:
- Did anyone say anything funny in class today?
- Did the teacher say anything funny today?
- Did anyone get in trouble?
- What did you play during your first recess?
- What did you play during your second recess?
- What did you learn today that you never knew before?
- Was anyone absent today?
- Did anyone get hurt or have to go to the office, sick?
Needless to say our conversations are much different now.